Sunday 15 February 2009

In Defence of Big Beautiful Women



For many years we have been inundated with the idea of the perfect woman. I am sure that as you read this, you have already conjured in your mind, the idea of the ‘perfect’ woman. Forgive me as I do not intend to mislead; I use the term ‘perfect’ loosely to illustrate my point.

Foreign as well as local media through various channels have conjured up and determined that the perfect physical look for a woman is a nice, slim size 6 figure. For those of you that are as clueless as I once was when it comes to women’s dress sizes, a size 6 is say a Kate Henshaw (before she was married I daresay) while a size 14 is say a Stella Damasus-Aboderin and so on.

So young women over the world have been encouraged to look slim and trim to be considered beauties. Fashion shows and magazines, movies, beauty pageants, have all indoctrinated the thin look as the chic and perfect look sometimes leading to extreme situations involving young girls in the grip of eating disorders, anorexia and bulimia. Even health and fitness gurus have not helped the situation with some of them outrightly supporting the notion that slim and thin equals healthy! Believe me I have known big ladies who are stronger, healthier and fitter than their opengele looking counterparts.

Now as a hot-blooded Nigerian man, I think I need to set the record straight and voice out a preferred ideal of the ‘perfect’ woman in a physical sense. I present to you - Big Beautiful Black Women or BBBWs as those of us aficionados like to refer to them.

Now please don’t get me wrong, slim women can be beautiful in their own way, you agree? Right, it’s the same way that Big Beautiful Black Women can be beautiful in their own way. Truth be told: Nigerian men love their BBBWs. Ask Dbanj and Wande Coal just what they were thinking when they wrote and sang Booty Call. Just think about it: BBBWs have twice the regular size of everything – attack defence and everything in between; more to play with if you ask me. Take a look at them, their big bones and smooth skin, though fleshy in many places call out to black men. Check out those curves, the roundness, the smoothness, the vastness! I do not intend to be overly graphic but I just can’t help it. A friend of mine affectionately refers to the fleshy parts of his wife’s body as ‘love handles’. He says they give him something to hold on to.

Indeed, some men swear by BBBWs and will not have anything to do with a woman who is not ‘robust’. They are their preferred ideal. They are attractive and have an aura of ability and confidence about them. They remind us of our mothers or aunties. They look ready to take on just about anything that comes their way. And have you noticed that BBBWs have the prettiest faces and loveliest smiles? Don’t take my word for it, make it a point of duty to observe and confirm these facts. They do not have to be half naked to look sexy. Everything good is everywhere. Case in point is a friend of mine who is a size 22; she is quite beautiful and men appreciate this even to the point where two car owners were involved in a minor bumper to bumper incident as they jostled to give her a ride to her destination.

Lately, the musical videos shot overseas by some Nigerian artistes have no appeal for me as they are filled with anorexic looking women trying to shake what they do not have! It’s laughable really. What I want to see is a video with luscious looking wholesome women. Men must be honest for once; I am ready to stake my reputation on this: that every Nigerian man has or had a crush on a BBW as they were growing up. I had a crush on one of my teachers in secondary school, simply because she was BIG and BEAUTIFUL.


Another point to note is that this does not apply only to black women but big beautiful women of other races as well. For example, I like Sara Ramirez who plays Dr. Callie Torres in the hit drama series Grey’s Anatomy; she’s a Latin beauty. Chandra Wilson who plays Dr. Miranda Bailey is the very epitome of a beautiful, strong and lovable Yoruba woman if you ask me. Okay, you did not ask me.

So if anyone agrees with me, let’s all show some love to all the BBBWs that we know, in our families, neighbourhoods and offices and grab some great big hugs in the process. Don’t worry, they won’t break any bones!

No comments:

Post a Comment